Thursday, January 31, 2013

Non Fiction: Should Women Compete Against Men in Sports?


I just read an article about how women in the Olympics try to play sports against men but they can’t. Lindsey Vann who is a really great at skiing couldn’t even play against men. I found this article on TimesKids and it really interests me. I think that women should be able to play against any one they want. These Olympic players are better then anyone and they don’t get enough respect.

In the article it talks about how even a few female athletes like Lindsey Vann, Annika Sorenstam and a lot of others desire to play against men. And how they sometimes can but not in big sports like the Olympics where they really can make a difference. These women can really beat these men and its time people start realizing this.’

Since forever, everyone has thought that guys were so much better then girls at sports. But that is not the truth with some cases. There are amazing women athletes out there who are never ever recognized and need to be.

In the article it says “Other people say that women should focus on women sports”. I think that is really unfair. What is the difference between women and men sports for most sports. Basketball, baseball, soccer, swimming, gymnastics, etc. have both men and women teams and its completely unfair that they get separated into better and worse.

This article relates to my life. In gym class during games, all of the guys take charge. And the girls let them. All the gym teachers talk about how the girls shouldn’t stand in a corner. Some games they separate boys and girls but most its mixed and I think that’s good and that girls should take charge!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Rebecca,
I like how you take charge. I easily saw your point and you made sure to emphasize it. I think that it is a really important topic. I completely agree with your strong opinion, and with what you said about gym. During all of the games, two or three boys do all of the work. The girls do stand in the back, but maybe it's because the boys think that they are better and don't want to risk losing the point. But the boys were missing the pins just as much or more than the girls, remember? I think this is a great example you chose because, while writing about it, it makes me angry. This is what it seems you are going for and you definitally achive this. Splendid work!

Tiv

P.S.
Maybe the reason that genders are separated in the olympics is because the men think they are better and it would be unfair to the women. I say "nay!"