Thursday, November 8, 2012

Princess in love by Meg Cabot



I am reading “The Princess in Love” it is part of the series “The princess diaries” by Meg Cabot. I am not that far into the book, but so far it is really good. I already read the first two books so I understood the beginning more. It is about a fourteen year old girl named Mia. She is a freshman in high school and she lives a pretty average life. She is just a regular teenage girl who is trying to survive school. I can relate to that, I am not a freshman but I am thirteen and I mean every teenager is going through the same thing, trying to get through school. The thing is that Mia is basically living a double life. She is a princess. Her grandmother is a queen to a small European town called Genovia, and her dad is a prince. She is the next heir to the throne.
Mia isn’t exactly the princess type. She isn’t girly and she doesn’t approve of things like princess. She just isn’t one at heart. Mia has a best friend named Lily. That it pretty much it. I think that Mia really looks down on herself and thinks she is ugly and stupid just because she isn’t the most popular girl in school. I feel bad for Mia, it has to be hard to have your self esteem that low all the time. I think if people tried, they could really help Mia.
In “The Princess in Love”, Mia has a boyfriend. The only problem is that she doesn’t exactly like him. Mia has never had a boyfriend before and now that she finally got one, she doesn’t even like him. She is really frustrated and is trying to find a way to break up with him but she is just too nice. I think that this is also part of her self esteem problem. Mia has no experience with boys. She always thought of herself as a big ugly freak that would never ever get a boyfriend. This must have come as big surprise to Mia and now she is caught off guard. Even though she didn’t admit it, I think Mia is really just so surprised that she thinks this isn’t even real. She thinks that it is all just a big joke, or it’s not happening and she is asleep somewhere in a different world.
“ I sat there listening to Grandmere and sebastiono chatter away about how pathetic it is that I will never be able to wear a strapless dress since I have nothing to show.” That quote really makes me sad. I mean here Mia is, sitting there with her confidence pretty low and her own grandmother has to make everything worse by telling her she has nothing to show. It’s her own grandmother talking about her in front of her in a nasty way. I felt kind of mad when I read that and upset and I felt really bad for Mia. They talk about her like she doesn’t even exist.
I hope by the end of the book Mia will gain back self assurance and tell herself that she is pretty and not a freak. I hope that Mia will understand that she is a princess, a graceful lucky princess who has friends and a boyfriend and people actually do like her. I think she just is so insecure that she thinks people dislike her. Mia is in high school now and her whole world is turning upside down, I hope that she can get it back right side up

1 comment:

lexmaldo19 said...

Becca, I thought that you did a good job with writing about your emotion along with the plot of the story. You used a strong quote which made the text easier to understand when you were describing it.

Good job.